HYDERABAD: From the time a verdict was in sight on the old task force office suicide bomb blast case of 2005, the nine accused who were serving as undertrials for over 10 years had grown in confidence, prison officials say.
They were rude and arrogant, say prison officials, and have openly admitted to having committed the crime – that of exploding a bomb inside the old task force office in Begumpet on October 12, 2005.
“They openly admitted involvement in the blast. But then, they were confident of walking out free. Even if they were sentenced by the court, they have served over 10 years as undertrials,” said a senior official on Friday. They were reportedly also sure of acquittal in the wake of shoddy investigation in the case.
The same accused persons had, on 31 January 2011, allegedly assaulted prison staff when they were lodged in Cherlapally central prison, recalled a prison official.
“They were 20 terrorist accused inside the prison. They were provided with cricket kits for recreational purposes. On January 31, 2011, we got information that they were using at least five mobile phones,” said KV Reddy, former superintendent of Cherlapally prison. According to him, prison staff went inside the cell to warn them on receipt of information. “We were bare-handed, but they attacked us.
One of our jailer Hanuman Prasad had a major head injury leading to 28 sutures, his hand and leg were fractured. Jailers Srinivas Reddy, Sridhar Reddy and Gopi Reddy suffered fractures. Warder Praveen lost his right hand index finger,” said Reddy, adding that the government did not announce any compensation or award to them.
All of them were, however, acquitted in the case last year and later shifted to Chanchalguda central prison after the construction of new blocks.
Of the 10 acquitted persons, Md Abdul Khaleem, Shakeel Ahmed, Md Hazi, Ajmal Ali Khan, Syed Ajmath Ali, Amjed alias Khaja and Md Abdul Zaheb were released late night from Chanchalguda prison.
Md Abdul Zaheb, against whom Nampally police had booked a separate case for abusing and attempting to attack two policemen on duty in the court hall in 2016, was also granted bail on Thursday iteself. Another acquitted person Mohammed Mahmood Baroodwala was already on bail.
“Until and unless cases are disposed off in 6 months after chargesheet, guilty will go scot free. The prosecution gets impacted as some of the witnesses may forget the turn of events, some may go absconding due to multiple factors,” said VK Singh, director general of Telangana state prisons. According to him, in the absence of a speedy trial, some innocent persons framed in the case also end up languishing in jail.
13 terror undertrials left at Chanchalguda central prison
Till Thursday, Chanchalguda central prison housed 20 terror undertrials including a Bangladeshi national. After acquittal and release in the old task force office suicide bomb blast case, there are 13 terror undertrials remaining there.
Of these 13, Md Hilaluddin of Bangladesh and Nafiqul Biswas of West Bengal, acquitted in suicide bomb blast case on Thursday, are being shifted to Janpur jail in Uttar Pradesh for their alleged involvement in cases there. Three persons, namely Akbar Ismail Chowdhary, Aneeq Shafeeq, Sadiq Shaikh, accused in Gokul Chat blast case of 2007 have served 2 years in Ahmedabad and Mumbai jails and three years in Chanchalguda till now.
Similarly, eight persons, namely, Abdullah Bin Ahmed Al Amoodi, Mohammed Ibrahim Yazdani, Habeeb Mohammed, Mohammed Ilyas Yazdani, Muzaffar Hussain Rizwan, Yasir Naimathullah, Mohd Ataullah Rahman and Abdul Raoof, chargesheeted by NIA in ISIS related cases have been lodged in Chanchalguda for last one year.
Undertrials, convicts and detenues in Telangana prisons:
3,798 male and 324 female undertrials in Telangana prisons.
1,842 male and 160 female convicts in Telangana prisons.
208 male and 3 female detenues in Telangana prisons.
AK Mohanty’s son to take ahead the case now
HYDERABAD: Former IPS officer AK Mohanty was the one who monitored the Task Force suicide bomb case 12 years back and now his son and IPS officer Avinash Mohanty is now going to take ahead the case after the court acquitted all the arrested accused in the sensational case. AK Mohanty was the city police commissioner when the blast took place in 2005.
Being a high profile case that shook the entire state, AK Mohanty personally monitored the case. The blast took place just one month after AK Mohanty took charge as CP. After 12 years of trial, the court acquitted ten accused in the case. However, AK Mohanty’s son, Avinash, who is heading the SIT, will not take ahead the case as the police department had decided to challenge the case in appealing in higher court.